Settings and policies configured for SmartConnect are applied per IP address pool. You can configure basic and advanced SmartConnect settings.
SmartConnect Basic is included with OneFS as a standard feature and does not require a license. SmartConnect Basic supports the following settings:
- Specification of the DNS zone
- Round-robin connection balancing method only
- Service subnet to answer DNS requests
SmartConnect Basic has the following limitations to IP address pool configuration:
- You may only specify a static IP address allocation policy.
- You cannot specify an IP address failover policy.
- You cannot specify an IP address rebalance policy.
- You may only assign one IP address pool per external network subnet.
SmartConnect Advanced extends the settings available from SmartConnect Basic. It requires an active license. SmartConnect Advanced supports the following settings:
- Round-robin, CPU utilization, connection counting, and throughput balancing methods.
- Static and dynamic IP address allocation.
SmartConnect Advanced allows you to specify the following IP address pool configuration options:
- You can define an IP address failover policy for the IP address pool.
- You can define an IP address rebalance policy for the IP address pool.
- SmartConnect Advanced supports multiple IP address pools per external subnet to allow multiple DNS zones within a single subnet.